Home On The Fringe

Fringe Art

Contact Us

Recent Ramblings

The Chronicles

Fringe Reads

  • Powered by Blogger
  • Weblog Commenting and 

Trackback by HaloScan.com
  • Get StatCounter!

On a Comfortably Equipped Island (by Kristen)*

Chag tagged both John and me for this one, and John insists that we do ours separately, so it won't be confusing (and his answers are forthcoming, Chag). Mrs. Fortune created this meme, even though she had a baby three weeks ago, which just makes me feel like even more of a slug than I did before I beat myself up for having so much trouble coming up with good answers to these questions -- these questions being, "which three books, movies, CDs, and people would you take along on a desert island?" The problem I'm having is that I can barely remember when I read a book, listened to music, or watched an entire movie ALL OF MY OWN ACCORD. I found many of my answers were items I read/listenedto/watched during high school or college. I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

B O O K S
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
Seems like the perfect thing to read while stranded somewhere, right? I mean, it was honestly the first thing that popped into my head. Of course, if you're already prone to depression and nihilism, which I am, this may not be the best decision. Unless you're a masochist, which I also am. Good times.
East of Eden, by John Steinbeck
Hey, a book I actually read while not in a class! This was a book I bought shortly before graduating from college, determined to stay intellectual even while working for THE MAN in the midwest, which I knew I'd be doing (and still am! woohoo!). Sadly, I also bought some Virginia Woolf at the same time, and in eight years, haven't managed to find time to read that. East of Eden is a reminder that I actually accomplished part of my goal. Plus it's a damned good book. I've read it at least twice in the last eight years...and believe me, that says a lot. Do you KNOW what I've gone through in eight years? Sure you do. If not, read the archives.
A History of God, by Karen Armstrong
I haven't been able to finish this book, and I really want to. It's a really fascinating historical account of human concepts of God from earliest recorded history to present day, with a focus on the three major monotheistic religions that have taken hold in most parts of the "civilized" world. I started it on our recent vacation, during the four-hour flights from Dallas to Portland and back, and I haven't had a four-hour chunk of time to devote to it since then. At the rate I'm currently going, I might finish the book by the time the kids are 30 and 31. So hopefully this little island jaunt takes place before then.
Runner up (I'm probably breaking the rules, but I couldn't resist):
Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection, by Bill Watterson
Must. Have. Calvin & Hobbes. My brother had quite an impressive collection of Calvin & Hobbes texts when we were growing up, and we whiled away many a wintery Chicago day reading those pages. I wish people would have stopped pirating the C&H images so Bill Watterson would have continued his work.
M O V I E S
The Princess Bride
--You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
--Have you the wing?
--If we only had a wheelbarrow! THAT would be something.
Growing up, we considered this a classic. We still do. Actually, I quote this movie on a fairly regular basis.
Pulp Fiction
I actually haven't seen this in over 10 years, but it made enough of an impact on me that I wrote a paper on it for my AP English Literature class in high school. It was a comparative paper wherein (much like this meme) we were required to use a book, a movie, and a piece of music and string them together with some sort of self-defined "theme". My theme was self-deification, and I used this movie, the song Wrapped Around Your Finger by the Police (hmm, also on my list, see??), and Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Um, nobody else did that. To say the least. I think I scared my teacher. But it was that accomplishment that convinced me I was capable of going to the school that up until that point I thought would kick me out upon arrival.
Un long dimanche de fiançailles (A Very Long Engagement)
We hardly get to see any foreign films in the theater, but amazingly, this one actually came to our city and it was showing on a night when we didn't have the kids. I know I like a foreign film when reading the subtitles becomes unnoticeable.
M U S I C
My brother will probably disown me for all of these...
The Refreshments, Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy
I'll need something upbeat and mind-numbing after reading Waiting for Godot. This reminds me of days when I really had nothing to do, but thought I was insanely busy. Work! Papers to write! Oh my god! How will I ever get it all done??? Wow, I wish my life were like that now. (Sort of.)
The Police, Every Breath You Take
I grew up in a college dorm, and every summer my parents had the responsibility / privelege of going through abandoned wares left in the students' rooms. One summer, my dad brought this album home and soon taught me that when you find a CD you like, you play it very loudly 29,000 times. I was bound to start liking it eventually. Now I can't imagine living without it.
10,000 Maniacs, MTV Unplugged
I need a female voice in there, and Natalie Merchant has one I never get tired of. Plus, her lyrics are particularly unique and thought-provoking. This album is a live version, so I'll feel like I'm actually there. Or something.
P E O P L E
Noam Chomsky
I'm not sure if I'd actually grasp anything coming out of his mouth, but between his linguistics genius and his social views, and enough time for my monkey brain to catch on, we could have quite a conversation. All I know is every time I read anything he writes, I want to be able to pick up the phone and ask him specific questions. Hopefully on this desert island he wouldn't have access to any guns, because he would probably be ready to shoot himself after an hour of my incessant rambling.
Stephen Colbert
With his team of writers offsite, of course, feeding him daily scripts via a snazzy wireless headset. Plus, I figure, anybody who's brave enough to roast Bush in the midst of deafening, unapproving republican silence is brave enough to help me fend off whatever island dangers I encounter.
Adam Felber
I really wanted to bring along a fellow female, but this guy in the same place with Noam Chomsky and Stephen Colbert? It's too perfect to pass up. I probably wouldn't even need books, movies, or music if I had these three to keep me entertained and interested.
*I'm assuming this island has running water, air conditioning, and gourmet vegetarian Mexican restaurants with excellent margaritas. Because if it doesn't, my answers will be changing drastically. Also, I'm assuming I'll only be stranded for around two to three weeks. If it's going to be longer, I'm going to need think a lot more deeply about which books to bring along.