Home On The Fringe

Fringe Art

Contact Us

Recent Ramblings

The Chronicles

Fringe Reads

  • Powered by Blogger
  • Weblog Commenting and 

Trackback by HaloScan.com
  • Get StatCounter!

10 Things Most People Don't Know About Me

Allison suggested this, so here we go:

1. I grew up in this college dormitory because my parents were "resident heads" there while my dad worked on his Ph.D. I returned to the same university for college and lived on the same floor of the same dorm as I had during childhood. It was weird. Everyone thought so.

2. My grandparents owned and operated a funeral home in a small town in West Texas. We had to go visit it every time we saw them. We liked going there. (Allison, I knew you'd appreciate that.)

3. During the first snow of my first winter in college in Chicago, I participated in a spontaneous activity wherein three friends and I etched the word "spam" in the snow on every windshield in the dormitory parking lot. (This was when the word "spam" still referred only to the canned meat product.) We thought this was the most hilarious thing in the world.

4. I really can't stand it when people don't use adverbs correctly (for instance, when someone says, "I'm doing good" or "I'm going slow," etc.). It drives me nuts, and I can only resist correcting people about 10% of the time. But I'm nice about it, at least.

5. I once wrote a paper comparing the movie Pulp Fiction with the Police song "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. And it actually made good sense.

6. When I was seven years old, my brother and I had two pet gerbils. We had been taught to pick them up by their tails. One day my parents were on the phone long distance with family, and we decided we wanted to play with the gerbils (the urge must have been so strong that we simply could not wait for the parents to get off the phone and help us). I picked one of them up and TORE THE TAIL COMPLETELY OFF. Blood was everywhere. I thought I'd killed it. Apparently no one ever specified to me that you're supposed to pick them up by the BASE of their tails, not the tip. DOH! The tail grew back eventually. I never got over it, as you can see.

7. As soon as I come home from work or an event, I pretty much change straight into my pajamas for the night. Lazy bones, that's me.

8. A professor (one of the famous ones at my school) once wrote that reading my paper "was like hacking one's way through a jungle." I still got an A- in his class, and he was one of my favorite professors. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

9. I've never seen any of the Rocky movies, Sixteen Candles, or Pretty in Pink. I have, however, seen The Breakfast Club. I never saw BladeRunner until it was a requirement for an Art History class. Yes, that's right. Art History.

10. On a weekend camping trip with my girl scout troop when I was nine, someone's napkin caught on fire while the troop leader was grilling something. Everybody freaked out, but I saved the day with my nerdy level-headedness (or complete lack of respect for the dangers of fire), and stomped it out with my tennis shoe.

Labels: