Home On The Fringe

Fringe Art

Contact Us

Recent Ramblings

The Chronicles

Fringe Reads

  • Powered by Blogger
  • Weblog Commenting and 

Trackback by HaloScan.com
  • Get StatCounter!

meme

Remove the top blog from the following list and bump everyone up one place.
Then add your blog to the bottom.
Childsplayx2
The Weirdgirl
It's Not All Mary Poppins
Grumppopotamus
Home on the Fringe

Select five people to play (sorry to those of you who kind of hate these new versions of a chain letter)...
Allison
Laura
Lucinda
Anne
Chris

What were you doing ten years ago?
Trying to keep from freezing to death or dying of depression in the sunless, gray universe that is a Chicago winter. I was starting the second half of my first year in college, taking classes that ranged from Astrophysics (lowest grade I ever got in a class, all those damned formulas killed me!) to French (never got to go to France, though...crap!) to Calculus (those science and math TAs really got sick of me, let me tell you.) to Humanities (hello, Plato, meet Flaubert). My school was known for having the highest suicide rate among students, and also for being #300 on the list of the top 300 party schools. You decide if there's a connection between those two facts.

What were you doing one year ago?

  • Starting my new diet and exercise routine that ultimately resulted in a loss of 25 pounds, woohoo!
  • Coming out of a major home improvement stint which included outside paint, new wood flooring in two large rooms, new carpet upstairs and in the master bedroom, new dining room furniture and paint, new entertainment center for the living room. Yes, we did too much at once. WAY, WAY too much.
  • One year into being back at work after staying home for a year and a half with the kids. I was, and still am, questioning myself on my decision to go back. I can never be pleased, apparently, since I questioned myself the whole time I was at home, too.
Five snacks you enjoy.
See if you notice a theme...

1. Bananas with peanut butter.
2. Graham crackers with peanut butter.
3. Pretzels with peanut butter.
4. Apples with peanut butter.
5. Chocolate.

Five songs to which you know all the lyrics.
Okay, this one has made me realize how long its been since I've listened to anything but music my kids like. Observe:

1. I'm On My Way by the Proclaimers (on the Shrek soundtrack, naturally).
2. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (sung at gunpoint to Quinn every night before he will sleep).
3. Learning to Fly by Tom Petty (aka "the birdy song" - yes, it's another one of my kids' demands - better than Barney songs, I guess).
4. Uh, I guess I listen to too much NPR these days in my precious time alone in the car, because I can't even think of any other songs. Crap.

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire.
I'm sure everyone has the same top two or three...

1. Pay off the house (actually, tear down my current house and build a new one in the same glorious location - you know what they say about real estate).
2. Pay off other debt and establish savings accounts and IRAs for all the family members.
3. Travel.
4. Consider a move to Canada (I'd consider it while basking in the glory of my new house in my enviable location).
5. Go back to school (be a professional student? maybe).

Five bad habits.
1. Being easily frustrated.
2. Worrying about things before they happen.
3. Over-analyzing.
4. Stress eating.
5. Becoming too involved, too soon in new things - relationships, jobs, diets, activities. I always burn myself out and get, uh... see #1.

Five things you like doing.
1. Going out to dinner and a movie.
2. Browsing at bookstores (I rarely get to do this anymore, though).
3. Getting a massage.
4. Watching Bryce or Quinn in their classrooms when they don't know I'm there.
5. Realizing my kids really are trying, like when I walk into the room and Bryce says, "Mom, I need to THANK YOU for all of those presents," even though we didn't get him the train set he wanted (actually, this one might need to go on a "things that make you feel guilty and also like a crappy parent" list).

Five things you would never wear or buy again.
1. Maternity underwear.
2. Any type of hat (sorry, people. I'm just not a hat person - you either ARE or you AREN'T, and I just can't pull it off without looking like an idiot).
3. Reebok high-tops (the white ones with the shiny silver Reebok logo - I've owned at least two pairs of those in my life, ugh).
4. Cowboy boots (see #2).
5. Flip flops. (I like them but they hurt my feet. I think having something between my toes feels a little bit like torture.)

Five favorite toys.
1. Bottle opener.
2. Netflix.
3. My new digital camera.
4. Laptop.
5. I can't think of another one...this meme is killing me. Oh look! I'm all done! Okay, I thought of one...the DVD player in our Honda.

Labels: