Home On The Fringe

Fringe Art

Contact Us

Recent Ramblings

The Chronicles

Fringe Reads

  • Powered by Blogger
  • Weblog Commenting and 

Trackback by HaloScan.com
  • Get StatCounter!

O, Conference Room, Companion to My Solitude

Have I mentioned that I work with male engineers? And that I'm female, with the word "marketing" in my title? That combination spells disaster - at least for a college educated, angst-filled individual like me. I only mention the college educated part because here, I am treated like an uneducated, disposable (although we're ALL disposable in the corporate world, no matter what our education level), and actually clueless maid, or copy girl, or envelope sealer, or bagel acquirer - I could go on, but I think I've made my point. The fact that I might have the ability to analyze each situation and create my own ideas from new criteria would NEVER enter these people's minds. Not that it really matters, since what I do is basically fill-in-the-blank-with-the-same-old-crap every single time anyway. But, the potential exists for me to do something new and innovative, and that potential is completely wasted here.

Today there was some excitement brewing. TWO WHOLE new projects came in, and I had TWO WHOLE meetings scheduled. WHOOOO!!!!! You should have seen my Protestant Work Ethic kick right in. Files were made, research was done, documents were printed out and lovingly stapled together for the most organized kick-off meeting preparation these male engineers ever would see. Fifteen minutes before the start of the meetings, I made sure I'd covered all my bases, had all my VERY important files with me, and headed to the conference room. I moved the speaker phone into the most optimum location and waited for the engineers to join me so we could call our "leader". When the meeting time came around, none of the in-office attendees were there. "No problem," I thought. "These engineers, they are so, so busy; I'm sure they're finishing up whatever they're working on and are headed over here momentarily. I'll go ahead and call the 'leader' and we can get started. Hmm, no answer from the 'leader'. Well, I'll wait a few minutes. They'll be here soon. These quirky engineers! Ha Ha!"

I'm sure you can tell where this is going. No one showed up, no one called. When my "leader" did finally call, he said, "how are you?" and in my wounded voice (which to my "leader" sounds exactly like my bitchy, crossing-the-line voice) I said, "I've been better." Did I get an apology, or even a re-scheduled meeting? No, I did not. But here's the beauty about my "hurry up and wait" job - when they're scrambling for ME to finish something for a deadline that will actually affect THEM, I get to use that really cheesy, yet somehow deeply satisfying phrase: "A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

Yes, it's the little things in life that bring the most pleasure. I'm patient. I can wait for my moment of triumph, SUCKAS!

Labels: